Copy files and programs to new computer

Not sure what software you need? Just ask us! (Be sure to provide us with a description of your needs)

Copy files and programs to new computer

Postby adonh » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 am

Hello I found the laplink program by searching the internet and have a couple of questions before I make a purchase. Here is my situation. I have a Dell Latitude E4200 laptop running windows XP. The computer crashed with a and according to Dell after a system scan they said it had a hard disk problem that cloud not be repaired. So they recommend a new hard drive. I had full files backups so at least I can restore my files after installing the various programs.

But to my surprise I stared the computer again this morning and it came back on and appears to be working fine. I am concerned that it may crash aging if there really is a problem with the hard drive. So I would like to transfer my complete system files and programs to a new computer that I have that is running windows 7.

What version would be my best bet. Can I download the program and get my own cord, is so what type of cord do I need. Once the transfer is complete are the files and programs still available on my old dell. In other words are they simply copied to the new computer or actual moved in some way and deleted from the old Dell. My reason for asking I would like to be able to transfer/copy the files and programs back to the old dell after installing the new hard drive an then have maintain a duplicate system on both computers and sync them from time to time.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Don
adonh

Re: Copy files and programs to new computer

Postby LL_Scott » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am

Hello Don,

What I would suggest since you are concerned about it crashing again is to get a USB external hard drive enclosure for the failing drive and take it out of the laptop and install it in the enclosure. Then you can use PCmover Image Assistant to migrate your data and programs onto the new PC.

Sincerely,
Laplink Technical Support
LL_Scott
Technical Support
Technical Support

Postby adonh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am

That sounds like a perfect solution. I received the new hard drive today for my Dell Latitude E4200. I am not familiar with the USB external hard drive enclosures but I see from searching that they are available at various retail and internet sources. I assume that I will need the 2.5" version for my laptop drive. In addition to the PCmover Image Assistant program do I need to also purchase a Laplink cable. Also where do you install the PCmover Image Assistant. Is there full instructions available for this task.

Thanks

Don
adonh

Postby LL_Scott » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:15 am

Hello Don,

Yes, you would want to purchase a 2.5" enclosure. I would take the drive with you to the store to make sure you get the right connection type, as there a couple different types for laptop drives. Make sure to place it in a paper bag when you take it to the store to minimize static electricity as this can damage the data on the drive. The enclosure should come with a USB cable to connect it to the computer, so you won't need any additional cables. You will install PCmover Image Assistant on the fresh install of Windows, so the new hard drive to be specific.

You can find the product page for Image Assistant here, which will also has the documentation link right on it.

Sincerely,
Scott
Laplink Technical Support
LL_Scott
Technical Support
Technical Support

Postby LL_Rosario » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Marked as Answered and Locked. Please start a new thread for this issue.
LL_Rosario
Technical Support
Technical Support

Return to Product Wizard